You’d think after 20 something years, you’d really know yourself well. Ideally, you should not get away with lying to yourself about as well as a kindergartner. Well, turns out I’m still that person who looks on the ceiling and in the dictionary to see if gullible is written there, and I just never learn.
Here are some common lies I tell myself. I hope I’m not alone in this.
- It’s okay, you can eat those chips directly from the bag. I’ll be totally aware of when to stop this time.
- Go ahead and watch that one YouTube video…I mean, two. Three is totally normal. ….You didn’t really want to get anything done today, did you?
- Good for you for eating salad right after you ate that cookie. But now I don’t really remember even eating it. You definitely need another one.
- I can totally stop picking at my nails whenever I want. Seriously. After I just get this one bit of skin off.
- Starting this 400 page book that you won’t be able to put down is a good idea because you have half an hour of free time and you can read what…60 pages an hour? Yeah okay, just start, it’s fine, it’ll work out.
- (Same as above, only with TV episodes.) Hmmm, it says the episode is 44 minutes, but if I watch really fast without stopping (aka just watch normally), I should be done in 20.
- Ugh, I feel like I don’t have enough time to do any coding today. Like I can’t even spare fifteen minutes. (Then I go stare at myself creepily in the mirror for the next half hour or do something equally not normal)
- You definitely won’t regret this in the morning.
- Ok, you might regret it, but it will be worth it.
Why can’t I ever learn??? What lies do you tell yourself? Do you have any ways to call yourself out?
featured picture from bigthink.com